As a child, Valentine’s Day was something I looked forward
to. At school, we would decorate an old show box that would serve as mail
boxes, and those would become the portals by which every classmate would drop
colorful cards and candy for each other. No one was singled out; not one was
overlooked. (Thanks to the rosters our teachers would send home with us)
Once you get out of elementary school, everything changes.
Valentines is rife with expectation and heartbreak. You hope and pray a certain
someone gives you a special card or gift, or EVEN asks you on a date. Will you be mine? Isn’t that the phrase
we look for on those candy hearts; it is what our heart and soul longs to hear.
Special.
It is what every human longs to feel- that we have a unique
place in the hearts of our loved ones. That we cannot be replaced. That we
matter.
I personally think that’s why Valentine’s Day stings so much
for singles. Why it always stung so much for me.
Year after year I watched my friends, classmates, mothers,
roommates and even grandmothers receive attention and beautiful gifts on Valentine’s
Day.
On a day that men honor the women in their lives just for
being who they are; vise versus. As I sat in class today I worked to keep my
face blank and pleasant as the conversation flew back and forth.
“My boyfriend is taking me to..”
“My girlfriend said…”
“My Fiancé and I are…”
Never mind what is was- it was something! A plan! Every man and woman, it seemed to my very single
soul had a plans that night, even if the plan was simply to not have plans.
Valentine’s Day is a day of exaltation; a day in which men
hold up their wives or girlfriends as beloved. Giving them tokens and symbols
of not only affection, but as validation of their very worth like in the
passage in Proverbs, “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all”
(Proverbs 31:29)
OUCHIE!
I whole-heartily believed that I was not special… Until
Christ.
On the day I said YES!
To Jesus Of course. I said YES to an eternity
of a valentine an eternity of love that would never burn out. God came into my
life in a blazing fire of love and intimacy. In that very moment I became what
every woman/ man longed to be: beloved!
I
became special. And I did not need to receive roses or chocolate or the
admiration and envy of other women. I knew it because of the whisper deep in my
heart: I love you. You are special to me.
I did not hear the actual words. But I have heard him speak to me any times through whisper, a
circumstance, a friend. Through a shooting star in the sky.
And after years of walking with God, years of spending
Valentines without that special person. Well, all I can say is that I could not
feel more special. More loved.
There are things he has done for me- just for me- because he
love. Moments and words and gestures that were not for correction and not for
growth, but were for one reason only: Love!
This year is going to be different. The Lord has set in my life strong God fearing women whom are also single. Sitting down drinking wine, grilling and basking in the love of friendship. It is going to be a wonderful time and I CAN NOT WAIT TO CELEBRATE VALENTINES DAY! (wow, never thought I would say that).
Happy Happy Love day- Single or Not
This is my battle-
-Elena Barrientes
No comments:
Post a Comment